Calcium formate [Ca(HCOO)2, CAS No 544-17-2] is a white granular powder with a molecular weight of 130.1 g/mol. Calcium formate is soluble in water (0.2 g/100mL at 20 °C).
Calcium formate is primarily used in the manufacture of tiling grouts and concrete products. Calcium Formate is an additive in powder form which will allow the formulator to improve the set acceleration and hardening effect on the strength development and adhesion properties of all cement-based mortars. Other applications include
- mold inhibitor of animal feedstuffs as an solid acidulant which is not only easier to transport and cheaper than adipic acid.
- antibacterial agent
- thermal stabilizer of ammonium nitrate explosives
- potential NLO frequency converter material
- masking agent in the chrome-tanning process where it promotes faster, economical penetration of the chrome in the leather.
- replacement for formic acid in the pickling operations
- safer substitute for alkali hydroxides, silicates, fluorosilicates, organic compounds, calcium nitrate, calcium thiosulphate, aluminum chloride, potassium carbonate, sodium chloride, and calcium chloride, which are prone corrosion
- component in the manufacture of industrial drilling fluids and lubricants,
- leather tanning ingredient
- flue gas scrubbing agent as a desulfurization agent
- foliar fertilizer key ingredient as a plant growth regulator